THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE

THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE
PRAY FOR PEACE AND RECONCILIATION

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

HOPE SHINES THROUGH DARKNESS

ST DOMINIC, FOUNDER OF THE DOMINICAN ORDER
AND THE DOMINICAN DOG

When I became a Dominican, I didn't think it was possible that this could happen but it did happen because a Dominican priest named Father Michael Stock op believed in me.

I didn't have it within my heart to believe in myself because I was so wounded because of abuse, poverty and all kinds of injustices that happened to me.. but Fr Stock believed in me. He didn't wait until I had it all together because I would have never gotten there. He helped me right then because he saw I was sincere to become a Dominican, even though I felt it was hopeless for someone like me to become one.

I spoke of Fr Stock to everyone. He was the person who believed in me. He gave me hope. He gave me what I didn't have yet but he knew I could obtain.

Sometimes when people are searching for their vocation in life... when they feel called to something bigger than what they believe they could be but dare to try anyhow, it helps that there are people behind them, giving them encouragement to succeed. They might not have the ability to achieve what they are seeking themselves, but with a hand being extended to them, it can often times give them the courage that they need to find it themselves.

People who have it all together, sometimes believe that others can't achieve, can't have a vocation unless they are solid in who they are without anyone supporting them on their road to follow their vocation. This is far from truth.


If Fr Stock hadn't reached out his hand to help me, I would never have become a Dominican. If Fr Timothy Radcliffe op and Bishop Raul Vera Lopez op and Fr Jerry Stookey op had not offered their hand to help me along the road, I would not have been able to carry such a load to help so many people around the world while trying to find my place among the Dominicans.